LMSW/Counselor Job Description
The LMSW position is responsible for clinically evaluating and assessing clients and their family’s situation. Position will provide group and/or individual therapy to pediatric patients at the clinic, maintain clinical files and complete required progress reports, and complete patient initial contacts in order to establish the best connection and resource within the clinic. The LMSW position will work and cooperate with individuals, school programs, referral agencies and other outside resources.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field of study from an accredited college or university.
- Texas State licensure in Social Work is required.
- Experience with the pediatric population is recommended and preferred.
- Knowledge and skill in the structural and strategic model of therapy.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Must be able to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment and be sensitive to the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Must be able to participate as a team member, utilize supervision and able to accept peer support in the treatment planning process.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of therapy services in order to help connect patients to those services.
- Effective written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be organized with the ability to take direction, prioritize tasks, and to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Must have ability to maintain confidentiality, and exhibit mature judgment and emotional stability.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Completes patient intakes in order to help patients determine course of action including talking with prospective clients via telephone and website contact.
- Conducts a full assessment utilizing the specific protocol, including verbal and written diagrams, summarizes central issues, themes and agreements reached, develops operational problem definition, assess structural functioning of individual in relationship to environment/milieu/family, conducts thorough child/family strengths and needs assessment.
- Builds rapport and credibility simultaneously with varying members/age groups. Relates to variety of individuals with warmth, empathy, acceptance and humor.
- Develops and implements successful intervention techniques including identifying the treatment method, establishing treatment plans that identify problems, goals and measurable objectives that are achievable in a reasonable time frame, interventions/strategies that address the assessment issues, and maintains timely progress notes that reflect movement towards goals/objectives.
- Plans for client treatment discharge/termination including establishing treatment plans that addresses projected length of care and discharge criteria, helping the family plan and prepare for discharge needs, maintaining progress notes that reflect movement towards goals/objectives.
- Conducts educational activities to promote client understanding of treatment issues including medication, diagnosis, parenting skills.
- Establishes group commitment to common goals, and an environment of mutual respect and understanding.
- Collaborate with other professionals to evaluate patients’ medical or physical condition and to assess client needs.
Clinic Climate & Improvement
- Present a positive role model for clients through interactions and presentation.
- Maintain a positive and effective relationship with supervisors and colleagues.
- Collaborate with other professionals to plan and implement therapeutic activities to improve communication skills of clients.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, and parents regarding the accomplishment of therapy goals and needs of the student.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of mental health therapy services and make changes based on the findings. Apply continuous improvement strategies to assessment and therapy practices.
- Clinic Support & Work Conditions
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Determination and management of necessary materials needed for Professional Development.
- Complete all trainings and professional development requested in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to handle multiple tasks effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to work under timeline demands.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in all areas of the clinic as requested.
- Demonstrate the ability to self-initiate tasks and projects that will benefit clients as well as the staff and clinic.
- Complete Community Support Events in order to participate in community outreach events that benefit our clients, help educate the general public and connect the general public to services.
- Complete all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.